Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Penny for your thoughts?


A month or so ago, Brian, Avery and I were out around town shopping when we saw a Dairy Queen! We thought when we moved here in Dec that we had seen a Dairy Queen for the last time for a while. We love their big drinks with that really good ice. You know, the little ice pellet kind that crunches in your mouth. I love that kind of ice! Anyway, we were in DOWNtown Laredo at the BabyDepot in Burlington Coat Factory when we saw a Dairy Queen across the street. We were both soo excited (pathetic, I know). I had just finished ordering in the drive thru and about to roll up my window when a homeless man comes walking up to my window! Scared me to death, but in my mind I thought that if I act calm nothing would happen to us! Why, I thought automatically that homeless people are dangerous, I don't know? The man said he was ninety cents short for a meal and he was hungry and wanted to know if we could help him out! Of course, I don't carry cash, the debit card is the way to go these days, but I told him I had some change. You know the little change holder in the car that you dump your change into, well mine was full of penny's. I start counting out the dimes and nickles that I had, not close the ninety cents he said he "needed". I know I had at least a dollar or so in penny's in the change holder, so I asked him if he minded a bunch of penny's. Do you know what the man told me. Let me remind you, he is HOMELESS and begging me for change! The man says this and I quote, "well, I don't like penny's, who does. I guess I will take them." My mouth dropped and I looked at Brian in shock! I wanted to reach out my door and choke this man and take back my fifty cents I just dug out for him. What kind of person, homeless or not, comes up to my window asking me for money but will only take CERTAIN kind of change! That is the last time I try to be kind and gracious to the needy! Oh, and after we got our food and started to drive off he was back in the drive thru lane asking for help! Hope people had correct change!

2 comments:

Morgan said...

You never told me this story!! So, Scott and I think that when he said "I don't like pennies", you should have said "You must not like food either"- then rolled up your window and peaced out. :) Way to go with the blogging. Two in a row. I'm impressed!!

Bertie said...

Hey Lauren!

It's Bertie! I can't believe Avery is one! i could have sworn you were just over at my moms with her and she was almost brand new??

That is so funny about the pennies!! LOL!!