Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Tooth Fairy!

Came a little tooo early in home this morning. I am absolutely devastated about it! I preface this by saying, we don't know what to do with Miss A. She is busy, go-go all day long. Everyone who meets her comments on how active she is.
So the story on why Avery only has one front tooth. Last night we had friends over and she refused to go to bed. She is still in a crib, yes I know she is 2 and 1/2, but she *usually* goes to bed w/o a fuss and hasn't yet tried to crawl out of it. So, until then we plan on keeping her in her crib. She was throwing a fit, screaming and jumping up and down like a crazed toddler! We just let her scream, only last for a little bit and she was quiet. Fast forward to this morning, Brian got her up to go potty and noticed dried blood on her pj's and on her chin and got a closer look at her lips when she smiled. He was shocked to find her front tooth gone! He came and woke me up, saying that Avery had knocked her tooth out. I was thinking I was going to find blood dripping from her mouth, but she came in smiling. We went into her room and found dried blood all over the high end of her crib w/ a tooth indention in the wood. On the floor, in front of the door, was lying her tooth, root and all! I immediately started crying and called my dad! I don't know why him first, but I just needed my dads advice. His advice was to make a necklace out of it! At least he got me laughing. I called a pediatric dentist, and unfortunately b/c it had been out too long, there was nothing they could do. Brian took her in to be seen, just in case.
She is still smiling, fat lip and all. The only thing we can think is that she was jumping up in the dark and didn't realize where the railing was or she was trying to climb out and fell and hit her mouth. Luckily, she didn't choke on it or bleed to death. If I had only gone in there and taken her out of bed when she was screaming, none of this would of happened.
I feel horrible. I worry about her speech and being teased when she gets in kindergarten or what not. How vain am I? I cringe every time I see it! The dentist said when she is in kinder that we could talk about a bridge, just to help if she is being teased or self conscientious, but most kids just find it more annoying. My sister, just trying to be funny said that now we can move into the trailer park! Brian has been calling her snaggle tooth all day! I guess we have to be positive, there isn't anything we can do about it now. At least, it is just a tooth and not the two front teeth!


Here she is after her bath tonight! She is still super cute! I just pray we can make to adulthood w/o every bone broken and every tooth knocked out! What are we going to do with this child!!

You can see her fat lip in this pic.. The top lip is just from her dry lips from her cold last week! She looks like she went a round or two!
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Katy Schepis Edmondson said...

Oh...Lauren, I'm so sorry!!!! I know how you feel. Emma and I were playing on the floor when she was about 13 months. She tripped over my feet and fell on her sippy cup. Two of her teeth were pushed back up into her mouth. I thought they were knocked out. Man, there was so much blood. Both her and I were covered in it. I rushed her to the ER and they sent me to a pedi dentsist to take xrays. Yep, still there. It took about 5 months for them to come down. One came down in funny and they other one is chipped. When I took her to St. Joseph ER they didn't believe me that she tripped over my feet and fell on her sippy cup. That made me mad. I guess they have to question everyone. Anyways, good luck. She will be fine. Hang in there.

JLMartin said...

You're not alone! That's the 3rd 2 yr old that I've heard of that's done that in the last few months.

Katie said...

she is still cute...what a day though!

The Wife said...

She will still get her normal adult tooth in that spot.....right?

Mom of 2 Cuties said...

Jamie- Yes, we hope so! She will get x-rays in July and we have to keep a watch and make sure her teeth don't start moving over to take up that space. We could spend money and get a bridge, but with her mouth still growing, we would constantly be changing/paying for another one! And make sure she doesn't throw it away or something.

Mom of 2 Cuties said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Morgan said...

Poor baby girl. She doesn't look like she minds it one bit! If anyone could pull off missing a tooth, it's miss avery! :)

Christina said...

I am so sorry to hear about this. Wow! I can't believe she didn't scream bloody murder. It will be all okay! Glad it is just a baby tooth.