
The last two plus weeks have been very difficult for our family, my husband's brother's family, and many other families. Where to begin...
Friday, Christmas Eve my husband and parent's in law and sister in law, Tanya, were in the field next door to our house snowmobiling. I had been cooking all day to have most of the cooking down for Christmas Eve and Christmas done, since we were having family over this year. I was in the shower getting cleaned up when Brian came in and told me that there had been an accident. Brian's baby brother, Chauncy had called and told Tanya that Elise, their 5 year old daughter, and Kelli, his wife, were hit by a snowboarder while skiing and that Kelli was life-flighted off the mountain and Elise was being transported by ambulance and that is all he knew. Brian's parents took off to grab clothes and take off for Casper, WY. We had a family prayer and anxiously awaited news of Elise and Kelli's condition. Shortly after Brian's parents left, his mother called and said that Eli had passed away and that Kelli was in very critical condition and they didn't know if they were going to make it. The snowboarder who hit them also passed away.
At that moment, I crumbled. As a parent, I couldn't imagine what Chauncy was going through. Sure, she was my niece and my sister-in-law and I was completely devastated, but to be in Chauncy's shoes was unimaginable to me. The next couple of days were really a blur. We tried to have a "normal" Christmas for our girls, but it was hard between tears, shock and sadness.
We left on Monday, after getting Brian's parent's dogs into a kennel, for Casper. It was great just to be surrounded by family. The girls did amazing staying in a hotel for 10 days and the staff at the hotel were amazing!
Kelli, suffered a traumatic brain injury and a few other non life threatening injuries. On Wed, she was transferred to a rehabilitation facility in Denver that specializes in her specific brain injury. She has a long road to recovery but we are hopeful and have faith that she will one day be the Kelli we all loved. They have a 4 month old baby boy and a 3 year old little girl that miss her terribly. Chauncy has been a pillar of strength. He had to plan a funeral of his little girl, all while his wife was lying in a coma in ICU. He had to attend a funeral and burial of his daughter without the support or attendance of his wife and best friend. My heart aches for him! No one should have to go through this, it just isn't fair.
I know families are eternal and am grateful for the atonement and the knowledge I have of it. I am still MAD that it happened, but I am not mad at God. I know Elise is in a happier place and is watching over my girls now, I just grieve for the loss of a sweet little girl and the life that is now been altered in my sister in law.
If you would like to keep updated on my sister in laws progress you can check her caringbridge site. Thank you for all the prayers that you have offered for their family. We have witness miracles and we know we will continue to witness them as time goes on.
4 comments:
I am filled with sadness every time I think of them. How would I survive? What would I do? What great examples of faith and strength. Brandon and Elise have the same birthday and the other kids are the same ages...I'm just so sad about it. We will think of Elise at least every Christmas Eve and really ponder and be grateful for the true meaning of Christmas.
I got choked up just looking at their family picture... terribly sad. I couldn't even imagine having to go through that. We praying for them...
Oh, Lauren...how horrible. We'll keep them in our prayers. I got teary reading this because I can't even begin to imagine.
Lauren, I have been thinking about you and your family these past weeks... My heart breaks for them and there sweet family. Your brother in law sounds like such an amazing example of faith!!
Sure do miss you, I hope you can come visit soon!!
Post a Comment